14 books by / about Bertolt Brecht
including his plays, poetry and stories, and critical biographies
Here are 14 books by or about German playwright Bertolt Brecht, mixed bindings and editions.
1. Bertolt Brecht, Tales from the Calendar (Methuen, 1961). First UK edition, hardback in dustwrapper. Translated by Yvonne Kapp & Michael Hamburger. A collection of stories, poems and anecdotes. Good plus condition, with slight tanning and edgewear to the wrapper.
2. Bertolt Brecht, Parables for the Theater; Two Plays the Caucasian Chalk Circle and the Good Women of Setzuan. (Grove Press, New York, 1957). English version by Eric Bentley & Maja Apelman. Paperback, good readable condition but a bit worn.
3. Bertolt Brecht, Collected Short Stories 1921–1946 (Methuen, 1986). Paperback, edited by John Willett & Ralph Mannheim, translated by Yvonne Kapp, Hugh Rorrison & Antony Tatlow. Good condition.
4. John Willett, The Theatre of Bertolt Brecht, A Study from Eight Aspects (Methuen, 1959). First edition, hardback in dustwrapper. The book is very good, the wrapper edgeworn and a little faded to the spine.
5. Hubert Witt (editor), Brecht as They Knew Him (Lawrence & Wishart, 1975). Paperback, first UK edition. Good plus condition.
6. Ronald Gray, Brecht (Oliver & Boud, 1961). Paperback, first edition. Good condition.
Plays by Bertolt Brecht:
7. Mother Courage (Methuen, 1962). Firstthus, paperback. Fair, covers heavily marked and worn but in good readable condition.
8. The Threepenny Opera (Eyre Methuen, 1973). First thus, paperback. Good plus.
9. The Life of Galileo (Eyre Methuen, 1974) Reprint. Paperback. Good.
10. The Resistable Rise of Arturo Ui (Eyre Methuen, 1976). First thus, paperback. Very good condition.
11. Saint Joan of the Stockyards (Eyre Methuen, 1976). First thus, paperback. Very good condition.
12. Mr Puntila and his Man Matti (Eyre Methuen, 1977). First thus, paperback. Fair. The text block coming away from the covers at the front hinge, pages tanned.
13. The Days of the Commune (Eyre Methuen, 1978). First thus, paperback. Very good condition.
14. The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny & The Seven Deadly Sins (Eyre Methuen, 1979). First thus, paperback, good plus. This is the W H Auden translation.
All books are in good readable condition.