The Poetical Remains of William Lithgow, The Scotish Traveller (Signed copy)
1863, limited edition, signed and dedicated by the publisher
First edition, limited to 100 copies, chiefly for subscribers. Hardback, bound in the original brown cloth with gilt titling to spine and gilt border to upper board. 22.5 × 17cm. liv + various pagings.
This copy has been signed by the publisher to the half-title, "Presented to the Rev. William Stevenson D.D. Professor of Divinity, with every sentiment of esteem from his obliged servant, Thos. G. Stevenson. 29th August 1863". Rev. Stevenson was a Scottish minister and antiquarian who served as professor of Ecclesiastical History at the University of Edinburgh. There is also a bookplate to the front pastedown for William Cowan.
Full title: The Poetical Remains of William Lithgow, The Scotish Traveller. M.DC.XVIII.—M.DC.LX. Now First Collected
This book collects the poetical writings of the Scottish seventeenth-century traveller, writer and alleged spy, William Lithgow. With reproductions of original title pages. Contents:
1. Prefatory Remarks
2. Appendix, i. Extract from Letter, Locke to Carleton, ii. Mr Lithgowe's Bill of Charges in Marshalsey, iii. Supplication of Aquila Wykes, iv. Bond of William Lithgow in £200, for good behaviour and appearance before the Council when required, &c. v. William Douglas, vi. Patrick Hannay.
3. The Pilgrimes Farewell to his Natiue Countrey of Scotland, 1618.
4. Scotland's Tears in his Countreyes Behalf, 1625.
5. Scotland's Welcome to her Native Sonne and Soveraigne Lord King Charles, 1640.
6. The Gushing Teares of Godly Sorrow, 1640.
7. A Briefe and Summarie Discourse upon that Lamentable and Dreadfull Disaster at Dinglasse, 1640.
8. Scotland's Paraenesis to her Dread Soveraign King Charles the Second, 1660.
A good but worn copy. The rear joint is frayed and open though attached at the spine ends and with surface wear to the rear hinge. Light rubbing to boards' edges and spine ends. The contents in good condition with light and scattered foxing but the main body of text clean. The inner binding secure, though a little pulled at the half-title.
Please note: Due to the recent price rise for final mile delivery from USPS, our postage rates to the US have had to rise. We apologise for this but have no choice.