The Handy Volume Shakespeare
1868, complete in thirteen volumes and bound in full-leather
Thirteen volumes (complete), full leather binding with four raised bands and gilt titling to spine, embossed design to boards. All edges gilt. Each 12 × 8cm.
This is an attractive set of pocket Shakespeare's, but without the original box they would have been issued in. This set contains all Shakespeare's plays:
1. The Tempest, Two Gentlemen of Verona, Comedy of Errors.
2. The Merry Wives of Windsor, Measure for Measure, A Midsummer Night's Dream.
3. Much Ado About Nothing, Twelfth Night, Love's Labour's Lost.
4. As You Like It, Merchant of Venice, Winter's Tale.
5. Taming of the Shrew, All's Well That Ends Well, King John.
6. Richard II, Henry IV, pts I & II.
7. Henry V, Henry VI, parts I & II.
8. Henry VI, pt III, Richard III, Henry VIII.
9. Julius Caesar, Anthony and Cleopatra, Troilus and Cressida.
10. Othello, Coriolanus, Timon of Athens.
11. Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Pericles.
12. King Lear, Cymbeline, Titus Andronicus.
13. Macbeth, Poems and Glossary.
This is a very nice set in very good condition, with just a few points to note. The boards of volume 1 are slightly curved but this will lessen as they sit on a shelf. Volume 13 has the same to the boards and some discoloration and creasing to the first few pages and endpapers. The eleven volumes in between are in lovely condition with clean pages and secure binding. As mentioned, these books do not come in the original box.