Five Carl Van Vechten hardback novels
Peter Whiffle, The Tattooed Countess, Firecrackers, Spider Boy, and Parties
This is a collection of five novels by Carl Van Vechten, the American writer and artistic photographer who was a patron of the Harlem Renaissance. All are hardback and are assumed to be the first UK editions (with no later printings stated). They all have some degree of wear and are sold as a selection of good reading copies.
1. Peter Whiffle, His Life and Works (pub. Grant Richards, London, 1923). 254pp. Inner binding strained and pulled, the cloth with surface marking and a slight lean to the spine. A worn copy.
2. The Tattooed Countess, A Romantic Novel with a Happy Ending (pub. Knopf, London, 1926). 286pp. Blue cloth rubbed, one small nick to rear joint, contents in good order.
3. Firecrackers, A Realistic Novel (pub. Knopf, London, 1927). 246pp. Yellow cloth boards grubby, slight lean, contents good.
4. Spider Boy, a Scenario for a Moving Picture (pub. Knopf, London, 1928). 239pp. Red cloth faded to spine, slight lean, contents good.
5. Parties, A Novel of Contemporary New York Life (pub. Knopf, London, 1930). 285pp. Yellow cloth grubby, lean to spine but contents good.
While all books are in good readable condition (with the possible exception of Peter Whiffle which is readable but needs gentler handling), the cloth bindings are faded and grubby, and with a previous owner's name to ffep.
Please note: Due to the recent price rise for final mile delivery from USPS, our postage rates to the US have had to rise. We apologise for this but have no choice.