Great Short Stories of Detection, Mystery and Horror
Complete in six volumes with original wrappers, edited by Dorothy L Sayers
Reprints, hardbacks in dustwrapper. Each 19 × 13cm, see below for pagination & edition.
Originally published between 1928 and 1934 in three volumes, these reprints in six volumes carry a host of fine short stories. Dorothy L Sayers' introduction to volume one is considered a fine piece of writing in itself, and an excellent grounding in the genre. The volumes are:
1. Eleventh impression, 617pp. (1939). The stories follow DLS's superb 40 page introduction on the crime and mustery novel. 29 stories and authors include: Edgar Allan Poe, Conan Doyle, G K Chesterton & H C Bailey. The book is in good plus condition with quite heavy tanning to the page edges. The dustwrapper is tanned to the spine and chipped to the edges but now within a protective sleeve.
2. Eighteenth impression, 619pp. (1963). This volume contains 37 mystery and horror stories and includes among others Oliver Onions, Sax Rohmer and M R James. The book is in good plus condition, again with tanning to the pages edges and margins, and the dustwrapper is tanned and chipped with a small hole to the spine. It is now within a protective sleeve.
3. Tenth impression, 476pp. (1961). 25 stories, including Agatha Christie, M P Shiel, E C Bentley and Wilkie Collins. Similar condition to above.
4. Tenth impression, pp478–1111. (1959). 39 stories, including Barry Pain, Mary Shelley, Saki, Ford Madox Ford and Algernon Blackwood. The book is in good condition. The dustwrapper tanned and scuffed to the spine, slight loss to edges and now within a protective sleeve.
5. Eighth impression, 505pp. (1959). 27 stories including Leslie Charteris, H A Manhood, R Austin Freeman and Freeman Wills Croft. The book is in good condition, the dustwrapper quite heavily creased along the top edge and tanned to the spine with dry tape marks.
6. Eight impression, pp509–953pp. (1958). 27 stories including Lord Dunsany, John Metcalfe, E M Delafield and Martin Armstrong. Similar condition to No. 5, with creasing along the top edge and tanning to the spine.
Whilst all six books are in strong readable condition, each of the wrappers has tanning to the spine and chipping to the edges, please see the above description. The books all have a neat previous owner's name to the ffep, and are well-bound. Rare to find all six copies together in wrappers.
Please choose from United Kingdom / Europe / Rest of the World from the drop down menu below to show the postage cost to your part of the world.