The Literary and Philosophical Society of Liverpool
16 volumes of proceedings, including many papers, articles and addresses
16 volumes of papers, articles, members, etc 1872—1924.
This is a collection (not a complete run) of the Proceedings of the Literary and Philosophical Society of Liverpool. Each is hardback and bound in the original cloth, with simple gilt titling to spine.
The books each contain a series of lectures, papers, articles, with occasional illustration, of talks etc presented to members on the sciences, natural history, astronomy, travel, history etc etc. They also contain the names of members, the board and accounts.
Whilst the set remains readable as reference copies, the cloth bindings are in poor condition, with mottling and staining to all. They also have a musty odour from storage.
1. 1872–1873, No XXVII. lxxvii + 333pp. Occasional heavy foxing to pages but still readable. Light marking to cloth.
2. 1877–1878, No XXXII. cxix + 383pp. Slight foxing, some pages uncut. Lightl mottling to cloth binding.
3. 1878–1879, No XXXIII. lxxxi + 266pp. Rear board detached, backstrip loose at rear joint. Light foxing etc.
4. 1879–1880, No XXIV. lxix + 337pp + 94pp. Binding faded, some pages uncut.
5. 1880–1881, No XXXV. lxxiv + 275pp. Light marking to the pages.
6. 1881–1882, No XXXVI. lxxiv + 377pp + plates. Ex-library, from the Microscopical Society of Liverpool. Lightly foed, some marking. Nice coloured plates.
7. 1882–1883, No XXXVII. lxxx + 259pp. Lightly foxed, covers mottled. This does include a report of the discovery of Finlay's comet.
8. 1883–1884, No XXXVIII. xcii + 323pp. Covers mottled, light foxing, some pages uncut.
9. 1887–1888, No XLII. lx + 359pp. A good plus copy. Pages uncut.
10. 1888–1889, No XLIII.lxix + 343pp. Cloth heavily rubbed and marked, rear joint frayed. Contents in good condition.
11. 1894–1895, No XLIX. xxxii + 316pp. Lacking the backstrip, with volume number written by hand. Covers badly bumped and rubbed, contents good.
12. 1895–1896, No. L. xxxiv + 279pp + index to papers. Covers marked, contents good plus. Stamped by the Liverpool Geological Society to the ffep.
13. 1896–1897, No LI. xxxiii + 292pp. Light foxing, and light mottling to covers.
14. 1912 Index to Proceedings Volumes I to LXII. Covers marked but pages clean, uncut.
15. 1914–1915 and 1915–1916, No LXIV. xxix + 103pp. Covers heavily marked and mottled, contents very good. Includes an interesting article by Allen Heywood Bright on the Prophetic Literature of the War, and an article on women's education by Mrs Khodadad.
16. 1921–1922 and 1922–1923, No LXVII. xliv + 207pp. Covers lightly marked, includes work by Sir Oliver Lodge.
As stated above, all the books are in fair condition only, with sometimes heavy mottling and staining to the boards and a few volumes with damage. However, the contents are in better condition, with only a few suffering from foxing and only one with heavy foxing. The books do have a heavy musty odour though due to storage but this should go in time...
Please select your region (UK, Europe, or Rest of the World) from the drop down menu below to determine your shipping. Thank you.