Popery Not Founded on Scripture
A collection of seventeen tracts, the first edition from 1688
First edition, later full leather binding with four raised bands to the spine. 20 × 16.5cm, 877pp, [56pp index & tables].
Full title: Popery Not Founded on Scripture: or, The Texts which Papists Cite Out of the Bible, for the Proof of the Points of Their Religion, Examin'd, and Shew'd to be Alledged without Ground
A scarce collection of tracts by English churchmen and divines, introduced by Thomas Tenison (who became Archbishop of Canterbury in 1694, and whose coffin is thought to be amongst those found in 2016 in Lambeth) which aim to decry the Papacy. The introduction is followed by 16 tracts:
1. The Obscurity of the holy Scriptures by Dr Fowler
2. The Insufficiency of Scripture, and the Necessity of Tradition by Mr Williams
3. The Supremacy of St Peter and the Pope over the whole Church by Dr Patrick, Dean of Peterborough.
4. Infallibility by Mr Tully, Subdean of York
5. The Worship of Angels and Saints departed by Dr Feeman
6. The Worship of Images and Reliques by Mr Gee
7. Seven Sacraments, and the Efficacy of them by Mr Gee
8. The Sacrifice of the Mass by Mr Kidder
9. Transubstantiation by Mr Williams
10. Auricular Confession by Mr Linford
11. Satisfaction by Mr Gascarth
12. Purgatory by Mr Bramston
13. Prayer in an Unknown Tongue by Dr Scot
14 Celibacy of Priests and Vows of Continence by Mr Payn
15. The Visbility of the Church by Mr Resbury
16. Merits by Mr Linford
The tracts are followed by two tables, of the texts examined and of the principal matters.
The front board is detached and the rear joint is a little weak, with rubbing and wear to the leather at the spine ends and corners. The main body of text is in good condition, the inner binding secure and the pages clean if a little tanned as expected. There are several small areas of old worming but these are marginal and do not affect the text. Previous owners' names to ffep (John Lacy 1737, ad J Wheeler 1746) as well as a calling card tipped in to the front pastedown (Mr John Lyttle, Armagh).